Today we are taking a look at the IMod stock (standard configuration) from VLTOR Weapons Systems. The IMod builds on VLTOR’s well known and respected original Modstock with a few improvements:
- Integral, but removable non-slip buttpad (color matched to stock components)
- Rolled/angled buttpad toe with wide traction area. This will assist in running the stock high on shoulder, making the IMod system more user friendly when using web-gear and/or body armor.
- Improved lock paddle, making it easier to operate and making the contact surface non-slip when operating the lever.
- Removed most sharp edges that may cause “snag points” to web-gear or other vital equipment.
- Improved strength throughout construction of the stock chassis. This will provide maximum strength during “Mortaring exercise” or unexpected impact.
- The IMod series is available to fit either the Milspec or Commercial diameter receiver extension/buffer tube. Unfortunately, the IMod will not fit both receiver extensions, so when ordering, be sure to pick the correct item and part number.
The IMod is available in the three most popular colors; Black, Flat Dark Earth (tan) and Foliage Green. IMod is offered in the conventional, “Standard” configuration and the unconventional, “Clubfoot” configuration. Even though the Standard model is the most well-known model amongst the shooting public, the Clubfoot version is a hybrid model that bridges the gap between tactical and prone shooting positions. The Clubfoot portion of the stock allows the shooter, with his/her off hand, to support the stock and to control the rear of the weapon, while shooting in prone or rested position.
All Milspec IMod kits are also available in “Combo Kits”, which include all necessary components to mount to the rear of most AR15/M16 and M4 type rifles and carbines.
Specifications (from manufacturer)
|Design||Removable rubber buttpad and storage compartments. A true Modular buttstock for the AR15/M16/M4 carbine series.|
|Construction||Impact and temperature resistant polymer, specially blended for Vltor. Metal components are either carbon steel or stainless steel (depending on the application)|
|Compatibility||Milspec IMods will only fit receiver extensions/buffer tubes with the outer diameter of 1.150”, while Commercial IMods will only fit 1.170” diameter receiver extensions.|
|Weight – Nominal||Less than 9.4 oz. (Milspec and Commercial with storage compartment and buttpad installed)|
|Dimensions||Length: 6.250” (without buttpad)
Length: 6.626” (with buttpad)
Width: 2.500” (with storage compartments installed)Height: 5.210” (with buttpad installed)
|Color Finish||All stocks have a matte (anti-reflection/glare) finish. IMods are only available in the following colors: Black, Flat Dark Earth (Tan) and Foliage Green. Foliage Green is more of a “grey” green versus Olive Drab.|
|Special Features||Storage capacity: Each side compartment can hold at least two AAs or three lithium CR123 3-volt batteries. The internal diameter of each compartment is 0.685”.
Sling mounting: All Modstocks, including the IMod will accept a push-button, quick detachable sling swivel or a conventional web sling, measuring up to 1.375” in width. ***Quick Detachable Sling Swivels are available through Vltor.
- Very easy to install – as long as you have purchased the correct size (milspec or commercial), the IMod installs in second. I tested ours on a Sig Sauer 556 and it slid on in an instant.
- Extremely comfortable – the shape of the IMod, materials used, and smooth edges make the IMod extremely comfortable to use.
- Storage capacity – each side compartment can hold at least two AAs or three lithium CR123 3-volt batteries. The internal diameter of each compartment is 0.685”.
- Sling mounting – all Modstocks, including the IMod will accept a push-button, quick detachable sling swivel or a conventional web sling, measuring up to 1.375” in width.
- Rugged construction – the IMod appears as if it would withstand virtually anything you could throw at it. This has been proven in the field with the various Military and LE environments that it has been used.
- Available in Milspec or Commercial buffer tube diameters.
- Also available in a clubfoot variant for those shooters who regularly shoot from the prone position.
- There really isn’t anything bad we have found with the IMod. This is largely attributed to its simple design, solid construction, and use of durable materials.
Its easy to see why so many experts view VLTOR stocks as the best available on the market today . The IMod is no exception. If you are looking for a durable and comfortable stock for your black gun, the IMod is an excellent choice. I highly recommend this product!