The Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol) 40 is a short-barrel, concealable, 1911 pistol chambered in .40 S&W. It is constructed extremely well and includes a 3” stainless steel match grade barrel with fully supported ramp, cocobolo hardwood grips, and a long aluminum match grade trigger. It comes standard with a hard shell plastic case, (3) 8-rnd magazines, a bore cleaning brush, dual-magazine holster, and plastic belt holster.
Specifications (from manufacturer)
Part Number: PI9240LP
Caliber: .40 S&W (also avail. in 9mm)
Barrel: 3″ match grade stainless steel, fully supported ramp
Recoil System: dual spring, full length guide rod
Magazines: 3 – 8 round, stainless steel with slam pad
Trigger: long aluminum match grade, 5-6lbs
Frame: stainless steel, black hardcoat anodized
Slide: forged steel, satin finish
Grips: thinline cocobolo hardwood
Weight w/Empty Mag: 33oz.
Sights: tritium night dot
Manufacturers Website: Springfield Armory
- Fine craftsmanship – constructed extremely well, appealing design.
- Very accurate out of the box – recoil is more manageable that other similar size (compact) .40 caliber handguns.
- Ultra-reliable out of the box – no break in period required, the gun functions flawlessly direct from the factory.
- Easily concealable – compact design allows for comfortable all day carry.
- Included accessories – comes standard with 3 magazines, hard plastic case, plastic belt holster, plastic dual-magazine holster, and bore cleaning brush.
- Springs are very tight out of the box, it’s hard to rack the slide when the gun is brand new.
- Manual safety mechanism isn’t as tight as I would like to see. While it does have a positive catch, it can be accidentally disengaged is you slide it into some leather holsters. This is easily overcome by using a quality kydex holster such as the Bladetech UCH IWB or Blackhawk Serpa OWB.
- Re-assembly can be a bit tricky as the take down pin must be precisely aligned to reassemble the slide to the frame. This usually requires a little “jiggling” to get the take down pin full seated which is a challenge given the tight spring tension.
- Crimson Trace currently does not make laser grips for it.
- It is hard to find.
The Springfield EMP is a finely crafted gun, it’s perhaps my favorite handgun. It carries and conceals extremely well, shoots very accurately, and is simply a nice looking gun! Add on the extra accessories provided and it’s a great package. I highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a quality .40 S&W carry gun!